Friday, August 27, 2010

My Baby's Turning 2 Today

I sat in my bed last night at midnight and cried. I've been planning her birthday for months but I never could commit to anything. Then I would just pretend the day wasn't coming and not do anything about it. So now I don't have a party planned, no cake, decorations... and I feel guilty on top of sad. I know there will be many more birthdays and milestones to come but I'm really having a hard time with this one. She isn't my baby anymore. She a little kid that talks and plays and runs and screams and laughs... So today I'm just going to let Eva do whatever she wants. We'll wander around the neighborhood with her stroller, maybe go ride the train at the Children's Museum, push the kid carts through Whole Foods for awhile, watch a cartoon or two, I have no agenda. Just to enjoy my little girl and try to come to terms with this whole thing. I can plan a party next week. She won't know the difference.

This will make you happy no matter what your mood. I promise.

12 comments:

Hksedwick said...

My mom was gone to girls camp for 3 of my birthday growing up and we would always celebrate on another day, then on birthday I would get to choose all the meals. It felt like having TWO birthdays and it was awesome. don't feel bad.

Teresa said...

Happy Birthday Eva! I started tearing up when I read this because she is growing up way too fast! I think your birthday plans are perfect, especially for a 9-month prego mama!! Doing whatever a two-year old wants isn't easy at that stage of incubation!

Kay Hinton said...

That video is the cutest thing! I'm laughing out loud myself even though I'm here all by myself. I think your birthday plan is the best. Happy birthday, Eva.

Shannon said...

Oh my gosh, that is the cutest and funniest video! I'm laughing so hard tears are starting to stream down my face. HILARIOUS!!!! I love listening to little kids laugh, especially when it's that gut laugh...love it! Can't believe she's turning 2. Wow!

Joan Morris said...

Happy Birthday to Eva! I love that video and that little girl. Sounds like a wonderful birthday plan. Happy birthday number 2. Just remember my favorite new mantra from Elder Foster from April conference "Their mothers knew that even though the road was hot and dusty now, the end would be better than the beginning." There are joys in all phases of life.

CurtisandJackie said...

Happy Birthday Eva! Macie watched the video of Eva with me and kept saying "one more time" watch it "one more time!" I think we're going to go watch it "one more time" :)

Jen said...

Awwww, double giggles! That video is so so cute.

I know you didn't do it on purpose, but good for you having a low-key birthday for her. The idea to just let her do whatever makes her happy is a great one. I think we get too caught up in presents, fuss, etc. for kids' birthdays, ESPECIALLY when young children honestly do not care.

The Davis' said...

Happy Birthday Beautiful Eva!! What a perfect, unplanned day for you to enjoy with her. She will love it!
Hilarious video!

sara cardon said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EVA!!! She is our favorite cousin ever. We have a little something to send with Grandma Joanie when she comes.:)

Alisha said...

Love the laugh---hilarious!

Amelia Hohl said...

hahaha. that was really darling. Thanks for sharing that with us. We seriously need to get together again so she and Bea can strengthen their friendship(not to mention you and me!). I have an insane travel schedule but maybe we can come down during the winter when it's miserable up here! Oh, BTW, you should meet up with me and a bunch of my friends in NYC for the Chocolate show the first weekend in November. Be there or you'll cry that you aren't sampling the best chocolate from all around the world all day long.

Katie Palmer said...

Eva is the newest celebrity with the BYU track team because of that youtube video. Tell Eva thank you for all the smiles and laughs that she spread over all the way over here in Utah!