Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Busch Gardens


This Saturday we went to Busch Gardens with our friends Carrie and Corey. We bought and annual pass and I'm super excited b/c it was a great park. We only had time for a few roller coasters before it started raining like crazy but they were some of the best I've been on. We are going to have a great time getting our money's worth. And for those of you moving out here, and our numbers are growing, we have the pass until next August and military gets in free! So Jen, Michelle, Sara, Natalie and Teresa, put it in your iPhones for next summer.



*Unrelated parenting discoveries of the week: Raffi = magic. Raffi is a Canadian singer for kids. I grew up on his music and literally can't remember listening to anything else before age 7 except the rare Oakridge Boys track. So I checked out a couple of his CD's (Corner Grocery Store, Rise and Shine) from the library and it's awesome. We used to drive with a blood curdling scream from the back seat every 30 seconds or so. Now, nothing. Yes it is annoying to listen to the same music over and over but I really don't care b/c it keeps the kid quiet and I can drive in peace.

Next, you have to check out the Duggars' book. Yes, the ginormous family from TLC. I won't go into all the reasons I love it, you should just grab it from the library and give it a go. But I will give you two reasons to get you motivated. 1. Tatter-tot casserole. 2. Blanket Time. I've started training with Eva and it is really working. Basically, you can train your baby to sit quietly on a blanket and play with a toy. The author uses this when she needs her toddlers to stay in one place and not get into everything. (When she's nursing, cleaning, home-schooling, in public places like church and parties.) Eva gets so excited when I pull out the blanket and put her on it. She'll even stay on it for quite a while and I've only started working with her on it.

9 comments:

Carina said...

Busch Gardens looks like so much fun! I can't wait to take Adam there!

Alisha said...

So you've graduated from the Biltmore to Busch Gardens--very nice :). We'll have to plan a trip up there sometime soon, I'm sure Coleman would have a blast. I'm very interested in this blanket idea--we tried a movie last night with Coleman while we made dinner. It worked for about 2 minutes :(

Joan Morris said...

Sharon, Lois and Bram were Devin's favorites although he listened to his share of Raffi. When I was watching Lucy while Sara had Zachy I would put on a "nursery rhyme" CD that Sara had and it worked wonders with Lucy. I didn't mind having to listen to it over and over again because it kept Lucy so happy.
Busch Gardens is great fun! I can't wait to go back.

Kay Hinton said...

My kids were raised on Raffi, too. "Baby Baluga . . ."

Tom said...

Hey, I've been there! But unlike whimpy Devin, I rode all 4 of the monster roller coasters. Had a massive headache later that day to prove it. I think they even have a special t-shirt for riding all 4? Oh, and happy birthday Eva!!! Today is your day. Climb back in that dryer and let 'er spin!

Teresa said...

Time for us to visit again! Way to live it up, and I love Eva's little birthsuit in one of the pics. Happy Birthday Eva!!!

sara cardon said...

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!! We'll be there in March.:)

The Allens said...

Sarah, I link to your blog from Joan's blog every now and again and love getting your updates. I had to pipe in, because, while I love the Duggar clan as much as the next Mormon mommy, I am extremely skeptical about this "blanket time" idea. We are on baby #4 and I just can't see it working unless of course it involved a dose of Nyquil prior to blanket time? On the other hand, this Tator-Tot Casserole you mentioned seems like something I can believe in. --Ali

Curtis said...

We've gotta get up there. Soon.

Devin, you're not going to the BYU/OK game are you? If you are and you didn't invite me, you're a dead man.

Hope you guys are lovin' it there.