Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Christmas II- Rose Parade

Going to the Rose Parade is something that has always been on my dad's "bucket list"- something he wants to do before he kicks the bucket. So New Year's Eve day, the Palmers remaining from the Christmas bash piled in the van and made the trek to Pasadena. We headed straight to the parade route to be there at noon in order to claim our spot on the street. Lucky for us, there was a nice piece of real estate open in front of the famous Yasuko's Bra and Lingerie Salon.

We took turns holding down the fort through the afternoon. During that time, some of us went over to see the Rose Bowl and check out the float building.

My parents insisted that all the kids stay in the hotel for the night so we left mom and dad to sleep on the streets with their mostly-Mexican friends. We then drove around Hollywood and Beverly Hills with a stop at Rodeo Drive.

Then off to the hotel to bring in the New Year. We opted for sleep over the countdown. Lame, I know. Back to the parade route by seven where we found mom and dad still partying with the masses. Their tales from the night before were never-ending as they talked about the food fights, drag racers, honking tow trucks, 24-hour Greek food and and almost-real fight between my mom and the poor souls trying to move in on her territory.

By ten the parade finally reached us. The floats are incredible up close. It is evident that they spend and entire year constructing them. For two and a half hours we basked in the floral goodness of the ultimate parade experience. Eva enjoyed the parade from her shaded spot on the sleeping bags while mom and dad enjoyed their well-deserved front row seats. It is something my parents thought they would only do once but now that their stories have spread, they have a waiting list of family and friends that want to go with them next year. As for us, as long as we can sleep in the hotel, we're there any year.

10 comments:

Nathan and Sarah said...

How fun! I wish I had known you were there, I would have come by to say hello! I am glad you got to experience that. It is pretty amazing in person when you see those floats!

Joan Morris said...

I want on the waiting list! Looks like fun, especially if you get the motel gig. Baby Eva looks so cute in that picture with Devin, she's prettier than the floats.
Aunt Kay is going to LOVE that you got a picture of the Vera Bradley float. She loves those bags.

Dalton Family said...

That is such a Palmer event! I love it!!! I can just see your mom protecting her territory! Can I go next year!!!:)

Team O'Connor said...

Did you pile into the van with the Mom's Taxi sticker on it? The van we wanted to live in in Alaska? I hope so.

Frankman's said...

What an awesome Christmas vacation!!

Amanda Palmer said...

How fun, I have always wanted to see the rose parade live as well. I think we did when I was very young when we lived in Orange County, but I do not remember much.

Shonna said...

Wow! That sounds like a super adventure! How fun.

Nat said...

I didn't know mom and dad were up all night holding up the fort. ha ha ha ahahahahahah

Kay Hinton said...

I do love Vera Bradley bags, Joan's right! Good choice! Looks like a fun adventure!

Kira said...

I went to the Rose Parade every year with my friend growing up and then ended the streak by marching in it my senior year!!!! I LOVE THE ROSE PARADE!!!!!