The tale of the Binky Fairy. Eva spotted this castle at Target and I told her that is what the Binky Fairy brings. So she went home, gathered up all her binkies and put them by the door for the B.F. She was so excited she could hardly sleep but finally fell asleep. The next day she got her princess castle and was elated. She was too excited to even think about a nap. Then night time came and she was tired and she wanted her binky. We put her to bed and hear this slow, mournful cry, "biiiiiiiiiin-ky, biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin-ky, BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN-KY!!!!" She couldn't fall asleep. She stormed out of her room crying. "I HATE my castle!!! I don't WANT my castle! I WANT MY BINKIES!!!" I was just happy to displace her anger from myself. But anyway, after about 3 hours and the most fervent prayer I've offered in months she finally fell asleep (a couple minutes after the prayer. How's that for a testimony builder!? Coming to a Relief Society lesson near you....) Then in the morning she came out of her room all happy saying "I'm not mad at my castle anymore." We went through this for about three days but now she doesn't ask for it anymore. Bad news is she will not take naps anymore. She was a consistent 3-hr/day napper... Gone. I miss nap time terribly.
As a little treat we took her to a Yo Gabba Gabba concert with Myla and Kim. These two were so incredibly excited. They wouldn't stop dancing and cheering for even a second for a picture.
We had to grab them and squish them together to get them to hold still for this shot.
They had so much fun dancing to the music. Eva was distraught when it was over. She sat stone cold staring at the stage for about ten minutes when it was all over.
The scream: I'm hoping someone will have some advice for me. How do I get my one-year-old to stop screaming? This isn't a normal baby scream. It is loud, incredibly high pitched, ear splitting and comes frequently and without warning. When Sophie screams whoever is with me runs to her like she's being attacked by a pack of wild dogs. The problem, aside from the fact that I'm going deaf, is that it scares the living daylights out of people when I'm in public. She'll be sitting quietly in the cart and an unsuspecting shopper will walk past her and get blasted off her feet or she'll be sitting quietly in church then all of a sudden she'll belt out and all the old ladies will be cradling their hearing aids. Any advice?
12 comments:
What a clever way to break the binky habit! I'll bet you think of something equally as creative to break the screaming habit - I am a firm believer that mom's are entitled to "revelation" where their kids are concerned!!
you trip to get pumpkins looks like great fun!
Landon used to scream like that. Nothing worked. It went on long enough that I was going to start carrying around a water gun to squirt him with when he did it. Then he stopped. Good Luck!!!!! It will stop though.
Isn't it a relief to get rid of the binky!! Jack stopped napping when we got rid of his. And he too was a consistent 3 hour nap every day. I went crazy for a about a week, then he went right back into his normal routine and started taking naps again. However, now that he's potty trained, he's starting to take shorter and shorter naps... keeping my fingers crossed he doesn't give them up all together yet!! Anyways, I hope she starts taking naps again for you!!
As far as the screaming phase... I got nothin'!!! We're still in that phase :( And it certainly doesn't help when her brother encourages her!! Good luck!! I'll be anxious to hear what works for you.
Oh man! You are SO funny!! Great post. The binky story is so so so funny. Same thing happened with Lucy-- she finally relinquished the bink but never napped again. I'm not sure what's worse.:) The screaming is hilarious...to me at least.:) Must be genetic b/c Zachary does the same thing. Eva staring at the stage. Bwhahahahaha!!
Hahahaha! I laughed the entire time while reading this post. Your kids are so funny and cute. Eva seriously looked devastated after the Yo Gabba Gabba show. I think that show might be slightly satanic. Not in a bad way, but in a Led Zeppelin way. It's so effing weird but all kids love it. Anyway, I love pumpkin patch pictures and I think you are the realest mom I know. Please don't send out a family Christmas card. Hahah. JK.
Love the pumpkin patch and I can't believe your friend carried so many pumpkins! And great way to get rid of the binky! Gigi never would take one so at least I don't have to take it away from her. :)
Let me know next time you get ready to go through that binky thing with Sophie. I have a dynomite campfire ceremony that I will let you in on.
I can't believe I forgot about the Manwaring Method! Next time for sure. Watch out, Soph!
So on the binkie front and naps---Coleman was pretty easy to wean from the binkie. But for a period of time he stopped napping and I thought he was completely done. BUT since he's started preschool he's back to taking naps again---guess school wears him out. So, maybe she'll jump back into them.
I'm anxious to hear advice from others on the screaming too--Emelia's doing the same thing and it's quite disturbing. We're spending all of sacrament meeting in the foyer these days. Coleman wasn't a screamer, maybe it's a girl thing?!?
Excited to see you guys this weekend!!
Love the binky story. I'm glad she's done with the binky but hopefully not with the naps. Cute pumpkin patch pictures. That is hilarious that Eva LOVED Yo Gabba gabba. I've only seen bits and pieces of that show but I think it would drive me nuts :) I must be an old Grandma.
When i was there for Halloween she was excitedly showing me her castle and then she sadly said but I hate my castle Grandma..She also snuck into Sophie's bedroom and found a binky and quietly asked me for her blanket. Heart break! What does a Grandma say to comfort that! I almost said "here's your binky back Sweetie!"
About Eva at the end of the show..Have you ever done that at the end of a good book?
Post a Comment