Wednesday, October 5, 2011

OBX At Last

It took me about 2 years of living in Virginia to figure out that OBX stood for the Outer Banks, NC. I've wanted to go to the famous Duck Beach ever since my single years when I heard about the famed Memorial Day weekend Singles Bash. It's only a 3 1/2 hour drive from our house. Finally we were able to put together a trip and it was a blast. We rented this great beach house in Duck and my parents were able to fly out to meet us.





September is the perfect time to go. Lower prices, warm air, warm water, hardly anyone on the beach. It was perfect and so were the waves.





There are four different lighthouses to visit...



Kitty Hawk, where the Wright Brothers first launched their airplane, is out on the Outer Banks. They have this cool museum with cool life-sized statues. And who can resist taking silly pictures with life-sized statues? Not me.





We went on a drive up the Banks with my dad one morning and the road turned into the beach. All these trucks were taking off up the beach and the tracks went for miles. Supposedly you can go up there and hang out with wild horses. My dad couldn't resist taking the rented Impala for a spin up the coast and luckily it had just rained to we didn't get stuck. Next time I'm taking a 4x4 with me b/c it was one of the funnest things we did.



Our cute little beach house with a fantastic observation deck. We could see the entire peninsula from up there.



I'm already planning my next trip to OBX! Loved it!!

13 comments:

The Fox Family said...

awesome pics Sarah! Next time we will go with you! I love OBX! For some reason you look waaay young in these pics! You look fabulous as always!

Tom said...

I am soooooo jealous! That would be the best: hanging out with the Wright brothers, driving my rental car on the beach, building sand castles with the girls, and having some James Taylor "Goin' to Carolina in My Mind" blaring everywhere I went. Where do I sign up for that trip?

Team O'Connor said...

I love that you put Sophie in the arms of the statue! Great pictures. It looks like such a fun family trip. I may wait on going because I think at this point I would be the only one on the beach.

Dane and Jessica said...

Well I finally checked out your posts after all that hype and I wasn't disappointed hahaha hilarious!! I LOVE the sophie picture on her birthday...I think I want one for MY house! Outer Banks looks like it was a blast you lucky duck!

Leslie said...

love the pics, but it looks like Soph could have resisted taking a picture with the life size statue. haha Glad you went and had so much fun!! I grew up going down there every summer and I still love it!

CurtisandJackie said...

Your family picture in front of the light house looks like one we just took. Macie's looking away because that's what you do to make your parents upset, and Madison has no clue what's going on and not looking at the camera. The joys. :)

Joan Morris said...

I want to go to the OBX. What fun! It looks beautiful. Next time take me ;)

Dalton Family said...

I love all your pictures! I love that your parents came out to spend that time with you...they are so great! I love the matching pink shirts too. Looks like so much fun!

Shonna said...

That looks like so much fun! What a great vaca.

Nat said...

I love that Sophie even wanted to pose with the statues! Next time let's plan far enough in advance for me to request work off! Looks like a great trip.

Pal & Hatty said...

What a great trip to a beautiful place!! How nice to be able to share it with your parents! I love all of your pictures!

sara cardon said...

Better plan on us crashing the party!! I also didn't know OBX stood for Outerbanks until I moved here-- I thought it was a popular store or something everyone had a bumper sticker for.:) That sunset is CRAZY pretty! Your pictures are so beautiful and professional looking!

Craig and Dar said...

I loved that weekend!