Yes, it is true. I did have a little box with a pillow in it that I used to drag Sophie around the house. Good news is that since then we've figured out that I really am injured for the long run and I no longer try to do much of anything. We had the x-rays taken Sunday night. They splinted me and sent me to an ortho surgeon yesterday (Monday). He came in a explained that my injuries were so bad that I would in fact need surgery to at least one foot and that I would be in the hospital for a couple days. Then he sent me over for CT scans and called me today about them...more on that in a minute. I have had such overwhelming support from all our friends and family. I literally am still trying to return texts and messages from friends offering to help out in any way. I can't remember the last time I felt so loved and important. Last night Julie told me my mom bought a flight for tonight and I just broke down into tears. Monday was such a difficult day for me. We were getting all sorts of bad news, having to deal with the reality of not being able to walk for weeks and weeks, my kids were both falling apart... I just need my mommy.
Today was so much better. Chelsea came once Devin went to work, the Marci and Doris came and helped me clean, get ready, eat, Kim came and helped with the kids, Jenna did the afternoon shift and Mandi brought dinner. At one point I actually thought how fun it was to have all these people come hang out with me, clean my house, take care of my kids and feed me. My life is going to require a lot of manpower for awhile.
And can I tell you how sweet I look? I borrowed one of those sweet walker-sitter things that old people use (complete with NRA sticker). My friend (I'll keep her name anonymous b/c I know she feels bad) laughed her head off when she saw me sitting on it at the table eating dinner. So yes, I look like a total nerd in my moon boots and granny walker.
The doctor just called and he had a chance to look at the CT scans. I don't really understand what he said. I had him call my friend that is an orthopedic surgeon and explain it to him so he can help me know what is going on but as of now here's what I got out of the conversation. He doesn't think he can do anything in the surgery. He thinks he should just let them heal as best they can now and hope it isn't too bad. He's pretty sure I'll develop arthritis in one or both feet b/c there are so many bone fragments that can get into the joints. That can mean joint fusing and more surgery in the future. So naturally I'm having a really hard time with this news. I was ok with having a surgery as long as there was a light at the end of the tunnel but now I just don't know what to think. Both feet have very serious, multiple fractures. He's seen this kind of thing from car accidents or maybe a football injury. It's the kind of injury he wouldn't wish on his worst enemy. How did I do this to myself in a moon bounce???
19 comments:
OH my gosh Sarah. Well now I feel bad about laughing so hard. What a horrible thing to have to deal with. I feel so bad! I wish I was there to help out in some way. You have such a great mom to buy a plane ticket so quickly to come and help. I love her!
Hang in there. That seems like a lot of info. to wrap your head around right now.
Holy crap Sarah! I too, wish I was closer to help! But it sounds like you have a lot of great people there with you to help take care of things. And yay for your mom being able to rush there! This doesn't seem like it's real for me, just hearing about it, I can't even imagine what you have been going through!
I believe in miraculous healings...time for a fast. Stay strong. You are amazing. Mom will take care of you. If Elaine Hardy can waterski after her crazy accident, you will too (unless you are excited to have a way out of skiing on Waterton Lake). We are there for you.
Oh hun! I'm serious...call me if you need help with babysitting as I'm in charge of setting that stuff up with the ward. We can get a playdate schedule for Eva so she can get out of the house! And we would love to have her here too! Just give me a call!
You need to post pictures! :) How wonderful your mom is coming and your friends have been so wonderful. I can't believe you're so horribly injured. Our bodies are so incredibly tough, and then randomly they just fail us.
Let me know if I can do anything from Maryland. Your mom is welcome to bring everyone or just the girls up here. :)
I'm so glad your Mom is there. What a blessing. I'll plan to come out when she leaves. Hang in there, it is always darkest before the dawn or something like that.We'll fast for you on Sunday!
oh my gosh! that is tragic!! i'm so sorry!
You poor poor thing; that's awful. I'm so glad you have so many wonderful friends and family close to help you. We'll pray your feet heal well.
Sarah I am so sorry you have to go through this. I know this is redundant, but I wish I was closer so I could help. Is there anything I can do? I hope you heal soon and that it wont cause any future problems.
I am so sorry to hear of your injuries! What a bummer! you will be in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad to hear that you have a lot of help and support. Our lives can change so very quickly!
I'm so sorry you're going through this Sarah! I wish I could help in some way. I'm glad your mom is there to help. We'll be thinking about you!
Wow, Sarah....I like Teresa's comment the best!! I hope you've gotten that blessing by now. You have been really strong through all of this and I know it's been a huge emotional roller coaster that you could've done without. I know the Lord is aware of you and your struggles and things really will work out for good. You have kept such an awesome attitude about all of it. Your ability to handle whatever comes your way is one of the things I love about you. ONE of them, but there are lots more. So glad your mom is here and that Joan is willing to come out later....you have a great support system!
And after all this....it's still A LITTLE bit funny. I mean, an inflatable? Really? You couldn't have come up with a better story if you tried to write it yourself.
Love you. :)
So sorry to hear about your feet! When I had my accident with my hand and it was de-gloved, the doctor said, "Maybe she'll be able to open it, kind of like a claw." Four surgeries, much physical therapy, and one year later, I could do everything I used to do - play the piano, chop food, etc. They said I would have arthritis in it, too, and now, over ten years later, I don't notice any more arthritis in it than my other hand. . . and I'm old! Hang in there!
SOOooo I guess I won't be thinking I am a spring chicken and go bouncing around in those things anymore. SCARY1
Omg! Only u buddy! I'm sorry but I did laugh my butt off. I'm sorry it happened to u but only U could do this. I need pictures too. Prayers and a good laugh will help ease the pain at least til the pain killers kick in. Good luck and puts ur best foot forward, hahaha. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Good luck to u guys and to devin, sorry this happened to u. Ur in our thoughts and prayers for a quick and healthly recovery!
Sarah! I was kind of confused by the last post but Corey and I just read this one and can't believe you broke both feet! I hope you're not in much pain. I wish I could help out in some way. Um, can you sue the Moon Bounce place? That is so crazy. I can't imagine how bad that must've hurt! Please let me know if there's anything we can do. I can rub your feet when they get better! That is my specialty :)
Well, this is officially the saddest post I hope I ever have to read!! I'm just glad no one is here to see me cry. It will all work out. I could tell you the story of Peg Leg Annie who was traveling between Atlanta (Idaho) and Rocky Bar in the winter and got caught in a storm. She ended up losing both feet. See, now don't you feel better?
NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Can you hear me mourning all the way from Vegas?? I'm SO sorry. We've been praying every night that your feet will heal quickly. What are the odds you would fracture your feet in that darn moon bounce?? It's still so unreal I don't think I'd believe it unless I really knew it'd happened to someone I know. I'm sure everything will work out okay-- just take it a day at a time. I think doctors are actually told to tell you the very worst prognosis, so you can prepare for the worst, and be pleasantly surprised when things end up being much better. LOVE YOU GUYS!!!
Sarah...I am so sorry! This is terrible! I am so glad that your mom came into town and it sounds like you have a great support system there! Wow. Hang in there!!
Post a Comment