Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Good News from Duke

Yesterday we drove down to Duke University to get a second opinion. My sister had a connection to the program there and was able to get me an appointment with one of the top foot surgeons in the country. He was great. He took time out of his busy schedule to look at the x-rays and CT scans with us and ultimately agreed with our Richmond doctor. However he was much more optimistic about my injury. He said he had another patient with injuries similar to mine (he'd dropped a piano on his foot!) and said that patient was healing up just fine. And he thought there was a good chance I could get out of this with no surgery now or problems in the future. He also said he would let me out of the casts at 4-6 weeks and let me start walking around in the moon boots. We decided to continue with our dr. in Richmond for follow-up visits so hopefully he'll take this new advice into account and let me out of the casts before 8 weeks but I'm sure it will depend on further x-rays. But all in all I feel so much better about everything and just feel so blessed that I do not have to undergo surgery right now. My friend Leslie's husband came by and built ramps for my front steps so maybe I'll be able to go out more now. (Except that now our trunk won't open so I have no where to put the wheelchair unless I tie it behind the car like a water skier.) But we're all hanging in there! Thanks again for all your comment love! I'm sure I'll be returning the favor very soon!

14 comments:

Frankman's said...

at least your toes look pretty!!

Tiffany said...

Oh my goodness! This has been THE CRAZIEST story to read! I was telling all my girl friends about your saga the other night, we all agree, this is the craziest thing. And I can't even imagine how hard it would be with your little ones! I am so happy that you have such a wonderful support system out there. And what an awesome guy to come build ramps for you!
Love ya girl!

Kay Hinton said...

We continue to pray for you every day!!

Pal & Hatty said...

We will be hoping for the no surgery option and a quick mend with your bones!! I am sure you have a new perspective about the importance of feet! What an ordeal this is for you!

Carrie said...

I'm so glad you don't have to have surgery and that the doctor was optimistic! That must be a huge relief. I'm glad everyone is still taking great care of you and that you're getting around a little. I hope you continue to feel better and better! Love ya!

Shonna said...

Glad things are looking a little brighter.

Kira said...

oh Sarah, it still makes me so sad! Too bad our house isn't done yet. I would say "Come live with us for a while, we will have an elevator!"

Camille said...

Sarah! What bad luck with two broken feet! Jake and I couldn't believe the story when we read it. You have such a great attitude and are being such a trooper. I'm glad there are so many people near you willing to help. Hang in there! That's great news from the Duke doctor!

Joan Morris said...

I'm so happy that you won't have to have surgery and that your recovery time was cut in half. I also love the black casts (AKA black fashion boots).

Teresa said...

Hang in there. You are awesome! Thanks for the great updates (even though I usually know all of it, I love reading your posts!)

Jessica said...

Glad you don't have to have surgery and I hope you heal quickly.

The Meyers said...

Ohhhhh Sarah! I just cant believe all this with two little ones to take care of. I too wish I was closer so that I could help. We all love you up here in the great white north!

aaron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aaron said...

Actually that Aaron quote was not from Aaron...I got onto your blog from his....I, not Aaron, think your toes are cute, but Aaron and Carina are probably very happy about the light at the end of the tunnel, too. We are all thankfulnfor the new and improved diagnosis Cindy gabe