So here are some pics then to the birth story if you're interested.
This is what we do all day.
Proud momma and big sister...
Sophie's welcoming committee. Eva had a girls' day out while her sister was being born. (Thanks to everyone that took care of Eva for us!)
Lovely hospital pictures.
3 days old.
Now for the birth story. I'll just get this out of the way so the majority of you can move on. Yes, I got the epidural. Did I love it? Not exactly. Will I do it again? I don't know. Ok, on with the story.
I'd been laboring off an on the week before. Monday morning I went to the doctor and I was at a 4 with 85% effacement. My doctor said I wouldn't have a long labor so not to wait too long to get into the hospital. Monday afternoon the contractions fired up again. I was keeping count and they were getting closer and stronger. So Devin and I decided to just get Eva settled for the night and go on in. I got to the hospital and they put me in observation for a couple hours to time the contractions, etc. It was a wild night at L&D. They were having to send people away to other hospitals b/c they were so packed. Needless to say, the grouchy old man on-call doctor kind of left me alone all night. I had progressed enough for them to admit me but the labor was going really slow. At one point he wanted to break my water to speed things up, I said, "Uhhh" and he stormed out of the room muttering under his breath. I just wanted to ask him a couple questions about it... Whatever. I loved my doctor and although I wasn't planning on waiting for her to get there at 7, as the night wore on, it looked like that was what was going to happen. My doctor showed up and I was ready to get this thing over with. So the anesthesiologist came in and placed the epidural*, they fired up the Pitocin, broke my water and within a couple hours I was pushing. And about 4 contractions later Sophie was born! It is difficult to describe the feelings of a mother when that little baby is placed in your arms, especially for this mother that generally has a hard time with that sort of thing. But it really was such a special experience for Devin and me. One that we will never forget and always cherish. And now we have this perfect little baby in our family and we couldn't be happier! Thanks for all the congratulations and well-wishes and especially to all of those that have helped or will be helping out with EvaGirl.
*I'm putting this in here because I've had about 10 people ask me what I thought of the epidural this time since I didn't have one last time. Getting the thing was the most terrifying 10 minutes of my life. I was so scared of it I was shaking for a long time after it was over. Then it started giving me headaches as soon as it started up, which lasted for a couple days. I'm still watching to see if I get more headaches than normal from now on. I could still feel my contractions to the point of having to breathe/focus/visualize/etc. my way through them. It definitely dulled the pain but I still had it. The last 2 hours were much easier than last time but added to the drawbacks of the epidural, I'm not sure what I'll do next time. Hopefully I have a while before I have to make that decision again!
15 comments:
Gorgeous pics! I can't get enough of that sweet baby. I will see you soon one way or another! She is beautiful, and I love that chub.
Congrats!!! What a sweet little baby! I'm so excited for you guys!
Congratulations! Sophie is adorable, and you look great for just having a baby. Can't wait to meet the new member of the Morris family.
You look great for having just had a baby. Especially having a baby with a wonky epidural and grumpy night doc. Did they give you a blood patch? Those are supposed to help with the epidural headaches.
Sophie is such a cute baby.
Yeah more pictures!! I love the one of Eva and Sophie laying on the bed. So cute! You also look beautiful! Sorry about the epidural but I'm so thankful you are both healthy and well and that she's a peaceful baby is an added plus!
How do you look so beautiful after child birth??? Something is seriously wrong here!! I looked like a marshmallow for about 6 weeks after I had a baby-- all puffy and white. I hope your girls get the Palmer genes. They rock. Anyway, the on-call doctor sounds like a jerk, and I don't think you had a very good anesthesiologist. My first epidural with lucy was like that-- I could feel almost no difference and it made me sick, but with Zach it was heaven-sent. I didn't feel a thing, so I know there's definitely a difference in who/how you get it. Bummer. Baby Sophie looks GORGEOUS!! Wish we were still back East and could come see her...
Yay for such a happy newborn!! Great pictures too, you guys look amazing!
What a sweet baby! Congrats to all of you. I loved reading the birth story. I'm sorry about the headaches ... I didn't know that was a side effect of the epidural! You are so brave and tough. The picture of Sophie at 3 days is SO sweet . . . it makes me want to cuddle her. Anyway, I'm so happy for all of you!
I'm so excited! What a sweet little thing. And she looks just like me! Ok, maybe not, but I'm still going to take some credit. Please? I promise, one day those Morris genes will be good for . . . something!
Congratulations! She is a beautiful baby! We are so glad that all went well! I love her name!
BAD IDEA! But you look absolutly GORGEOUS, so maybe it is good idea for you. Sounds to me like you got a bad epidural. I couldn't feel a THING with any of mine, and I never got headaches...sorry about the headaches, that stinks. Hope you are feeling better!
I love all the pics. I'm so glad i got to be part of the welcoming committee. My favorites are Eva laying by Sophie and you holding Eva and her looking up with the cutes "I love you mom," expression. Miss you guys!!
Congrats Sarah! Yeah never go jeans shopping 4 days post partum....haha. Cant wait to meet Sophie!
Congrats Sarah! Yeah never go jeans shopping 4 days post partum....haha. Cant wait to meet Sophie!
Congrats. I finally had the chance to get online to check your blog since the move. She is beautiful!
Post a Comment