After San Antonio we drove through Houston to New Orleans. Hotwire.com landed us a hotel right in the middle of the French Quarter. We spent a couple days wandering the streets of Nawlins although we will take much more care not to wander onto Bourbon Street next time. It outdoes the strip easily, even at noon. They have a street car that takes you up into the residential area to look at all the old mansions. The trees along the streets were blanketed with Mardi Gras beads, probably from the big parade a couple of weeks earlier. I didn't realize this until the day was over, but we ate nothing but fried food all day. We started off with beignets from Cafe Du Monde, fried shrimp po'boys for lunch, fried soft shell crab, fried oysters, and fried catfish for dinner. I must be used to the American diet but poor Devin spent the night with major barf attacks. He is officially cured from the lure of fried food for good. We didn't see any of the after-effects from Katrina until we ventured into the Lower Ninth Ward where its toll became evident. One funny side story: we went to the Wal-Mart that we think was the Wal-Mart looted during the hurricane in search of diapers for Eva. Devin said it was a complete circus inside with people riding the un-sold store bikes all over, playing with the toys, throwing balls around. Meanwhile, I was circling the parking lot when a guy ran past me in handcuffs, followed closely by a police officer, while bystanders laughed and cheered. It was crazy. All in all, we really enjoyed our couple of days in New Orleans and we're happy we could squeeze it into our trip this time around.
*See complete album in post below.
7 comments:
YUM beignets! Aren't they so good? Pretty funny Walmart story. I guess it was an adventure you won't soon forget.
That baby is getting cuter every single day!! Sounds like fun!?
Your family is so cute! I wish you had come to Texas while I was still there. I still want to visit you guys this summer though. Well, maybe before it gets too hot. We're going to Vegas in May but don't have anything planned for June...
I love the evidence of the fried food in the pic with Dev and eva. Awesome! So sorry to hear he had the pukies. I know the feeling, no fun. You three are the best little travelers.
My family will tell you I've always had an aversion to Wal-mart. Your story only adds fodder to my feelings!
Wow, glad you made it safely out of that Wal-mart. Pretty funny.
I just read my mom's comment, and I will testify that she completely dislikes Wal-mart. I've had her call me more than once while in the parking lot of Wal-mart saying "cover me, I'm going in." I think it's hilarious.
Post a Comment