Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My First Before and After

Ok. So here it is. My first before and after. I bought this dresser for $20 and didn't have much of a plan for it. After browsing websites and talking to friends I decided I needed a little practice and experimenting. I've been reading about glazing and wanted to try it out. I also wanted to try my hand at distressing. allthingsthrifty.com is a great website for furniture transformations, check out their glazing page. http://www.allthingsthrifty.com/2010/03/glazing-furniture-101.html So this dresser is not done yet. In fact, I think I will totally redo it with another method when I move but here is what I did:

I removed the stickers, sanded it lightly but left the white paint. Then I distressed it using the back of a hammer. Just took wacks at it over and over. I think I went a little overboard on this part. Then I glazed it with what I thought was a dark brown but it looks more burgundy to me. If I wanted to keep it the way it is I would put a coat of polyurethane on it but I'm not convinced that I'm not going to paint it and start from scratch. But not bad for my first try, eh? I'm loving the glazing technique. Now I have a whole can of glaze in my closet like the rebellious friend in high school always trying to get me into trouble. Ok, so maybe I never had one of those but this can of glaze is sure to get me into some major trouble with the hub.


Eva updates: I'm watching my baby morph into little kid right before my eyes. She can read her alphabet thanks to this toy. She is learning her numbers, shapes and colors. Her phrases are getting longer and cuter. Yay! I did it! It's hot! It's stuck! Where are you? Thank you my Dada. Plus her vocabulary grows larger and larger every day.

I finally got my new camera but it is such a novelty to Eva that she just screams and reaches for it every time I pull it out. But she'll smile for me if I give her the old one to hold. Funny baby.


And last but not least, Easter pics from the Easter egg hunt.


12 comments:

Jen said...

She's a doll. And getting so big.

The dresser looks great. You're so brave to attempt it. I'm interested to see all the many different things you're going to do with this Guinea PigDresser.

Joan Morris said...

Great job on the dresser, I'm so proud of you. It makes my heart hurt to see Eva getting so big.. She is so cute :) I miss her!

Frankman's said...

I just got your package in the mail and i LOVE LOVE LOVE the bows! seriously, they are so cute and perfect!! you are so sweet. and the dresser is amazing!! good job!

Furniss Family said...

Looks great! Eve is getting so big and talking so much now, it's so cute!! Hope you are feeling well and doing great!

Carina said...

Awesome job on the dresser! I want to update ours but I've been too chicken. Maybe you can give me some tips. Eva is turning into such a little lady. Isn't it so much fun when they start talking more?

sara cardon said...

Cute! Nice work on the dresser. It looks great. Eva is SO cute and we miss her!

Familia Durham said...

Wait a minute... she is supposed to be a baby... LOL WOW!!! She has grown so much! :) She is a beauty!

Lindy said...

Shut up! She's so big and so cute. I mean, it's no surprise your kid is cute and kids get big, but it wasn't supposed to happen this fast. I haven't even met her yet!!

And now you have a traffic feed on your blog to tell you just how pathetically rarely I get to my blogs these days. It's not personal. I'm still finding my groove (meaning it's obviously still lost). Anyways, I'm happy about your new place and I'm so jealous of your neighborhood. Lauren is starting to need friends bad, but I'm surrounded by senior citizens. They're great, but not Lauren's speed. What I'm trying to say is, come be my neighbor okay? Okay!

Lindy said...

Oh, and your dresser rules. I have a dining room table refinishing project I've been staring at for almost a year now. Thanks for the inspiration/motivation.

Craig and Dar said...

I like the color it is now instead of the brown you wanted..this is a great look. What a great idea for raising kids furniture..it will get more distressing. I was taken back at these shots of Eva cause I kept seeing Natalie when she was that impish little age.

Dallings said...

I can't believe you got that dresser for so cheap. Way to go, it is a cute design. You did a great job with it.

Teresa said...

So cool. It looks great. I can't wait to see what your nesting brings next to your blog. I can't believe how much Eva has grown up since February. I need to come visit that girl...I say girl because she is slowly leaving the baby phase (sniff, sniff).