Monday, March 25, 2013

I've just discovered the cure for type II Diabetes.

Here's the cure.  Tell kids about diabetes, more specifically the insulin shots.  They'll never want to touch sugar again.  So here's the tale of a mean mom.  Sometimes I tell my friends stories that I think are just normal, every day things.  And if it makes them crack up I figure that it will make me crack up someday.  So I'm putting this here for memory's sake.  And I'm sure one day this will be one of those "Mom, remember when you turned sugar into a horror movie for me?" type of situations. 

So it's no secret that Eva's nutrition is dismal at best.  She will eat meatballs, chicken nuggets, lasagna, cheese and apples.  That's the end of anything that resembles healthy.  The rest is carbs and not the good kind.  I'm sure I've made many mistakes along the way and every doctor I go to has a different opinion about how to get her to eat better.  For the most part I've tried to take the non-OCD path and not stress out too much about it.  The other night we went out to eat and the restaurant only had "healthy" kids meals.  Salads, salmon, grilled chicken pilaf... a good idea but nothing Eva would ever touch.  So we ordered the kids breakfast.  Waffles, eggs, bacon... there's some protein in there somewhere, right?  Of course all she would eat was the waffles.  I'm getting fed up with this because I know it's going to start affecting her health if it hasn't already.  So I told her a story.  This story was about my grandpa that got Type II Diabetes in his old age and had to have insulin shots every day.  Then Sunday we went to church and there were cookies all over the place from primary.  Plus I packed a little snack with cereal and some marshmallows for each of the girls.  So she ate the marshmallows out of both containers along with a handful of cookies.  Then later that night she threw up all over the place because of all the sweets.  Never let a crisis go to waste so we told her she threw up because of all the sugar she ate.  We spent the evening talking about sugar and what it does to our bodies, diabetes, how to eat healthier.

So today she woke up and wanted oatmeal for breakfast with no sugar, just cinnamon.  Then she ate and egg.  For lunch she wanted apples with cinnamon, cheese and peanut butter.  Then she asked me to make her a berry smoothie that she normally hates.  She tasted it and I said, "Eva, thank you for tasting the smoothie."  She said, "Thank you for telling me that story."  "What story?"  "The one where people have to get shots."  Then I asked her if she wanted carrot sticks with her meatballs.   "Why, yes."  (She really did say "Why" yes.  Haha, all those princess movies.)

So I'm feeling pretty guilty that she is so terrified of sugar she thinks she can't even have it on her birthday but maybe this will be a good thing in the long run???  Notice the question marks.  So now I'm one of those parents that purposely scared my child silly to teach her a lesson.  I'm just hoping this will change things in the long run!


8 comments:

Furniss Family said...

That is awesome! She is so cute! Miss you guys and your girls cute little voices. If my kids get to be bad eater, I know what to do :) Thanks for the tip, lol.

Nat said...

ha ha ha ha... love it! I'm sure she'll give in to sugar soon... if not... bonus!

Alicia said...

Way to go! If anything you've shocked her mind into eating healthy for the rest of her life. :)

Shae said...

love it! I'm all for putting the fear of God into my kids!

Team O'Connor said...

Don't feel guilty! That is pure genius. If you really want to solidify her fear, I can send you pictures of my nephew with his insulin pump (she doesn't have to know that it's type 1). I'm all about tricking children. I take extreme joy in it. Haha :)

Hksedwick said...

I am so glad you posted that story!! Hilarious.

It sounds like it worked and it let her make the decision which is a big deal for her!

Joan Morris said...

I'll be interested to see how long it lasts.

Teresa said...

Halarious!