Monday, September 19, 2011

First Day of School (Insert Jim Halpert Face)



I bet you thought this was going to be the classic "First Day of School" post. The one with the smiling, well-groomed child, complete with backpack and a look of utter excitement, standing by the front door ready to greet the world with a high-five and "rocks". The exact post I had pictured in my head the night before the first day... It didn't exactly work out that way.

It was a usual, lazy morning... a little oatmeal and Disney Junior. Get back from taking Devin to the bus at 8:45 and realize I have half an hour to get everyone dressed and out the door. (Not to mention the perfectly framed "first day of school" photo!) Try to dress Eva and she will NOT put anything on. She doesn't want to wear anything in her dresser. I finally have to man-handle a kicking and screaming 3-yr-old into this nice white ensemble. Meanwhile Sophie is emptying the entire dresser at lightning speed.



Then we move into the bathroom where I prayed for a little cooperation and got none. Screaming like no body's business I finally get an elastic into Eva's hair. Meanwhile Sophie has completely emptied the toilet paper roll and the garbage.


I hurry and make myself and the baby presentable before fixing a snack and rushing out the door. Time for the photo. Employing my best smile-coaxing skills got me no where.



Finally, an expression of some sort. The closest thing to a smile. Oh well, we gatta go... Where are my keys? In the house. Door locked. Nice. Phone? In there too. Nice. Run out to the road to hitchhike from one of my friends I know will be passing by. This is ridiculous. Run over to my friend's house, borrow her car to get to school on time. Sweating like crazy. Kids screaming. I'm officially a wreck.


We pull up to school and Eva gets excited because she thinks school looks like the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Sweet. She's happy. Now for the shot. I'll settle for this classic face because it will make me laugh for years to come.



Now I know why my mom loves this picture of 3-yr-old me so much.


So to wrap it up she loved her first day of preschool, I was able to get my keys back and her princess purse is the envy of every little girl in the class. My sisters love to make fun of my fifty dollar preschool. (This summer when Eva was peeing all over the place (and everyone) I kept lamenting about how she wouldn't be able to go to her preschool that I'd already paid for. When they found out it was only $50 they couldn't stop laughing at me.) Well, this is it. It is run by the county so it costs $50 for an entire semester. But to get in you have to wait in line all night. Which is pretty hilarious that I'm that cheap. It takes me back to my days of waiting up all night at the Marriott to get good football tickets. Anyway, it's actually not that bad since I know about half the people in the line from my ward at church. The other half are Indians. (The Indian kind.) So there you go. The tale of the fifty dollar preschool.

12 comments:

Frankman's said...

that face is hilarious!!! she's adorable! and awesome first day story!

Leslie said...

Another day in the life! So hilarious.

The Fox Family said...

hahaha!!! I love her first face! And the way she is flaunting her purse! haha! What a bad first day for you. sorry! Glad you documented it...even the messy parts! ha! That girl cracks me up!

Dalton Family said...

Oh my gosh! Best post ever! I was laughing so hard, thanks for that:-)

Joan Morris said...

That is hilarious. You'll be laugghing about that for years to come. Did you make it to school on time? I'm so glad she likes her princess purse.

Furniss Family said...

Oh my goodness, what a morning! I bet you were exhausted by time you got her home for lunch. Those messes are classic too, isn't that always how life and days go, always things in the way to stress you out! Glad she loved it and made it there. I love those faces on that little girl, what a cutie!! We gotta love the $50 preschool :)

CurtisandJackie said...

So funny! Gotta love it. I can't believe how much Eva looks like you. You're both as cute as ever. ;)

Team O'Connor said...

Life with Eva is the best! She looked so cute and I bet your mom is just laughing it up since she had to deal with that when you were younger :) Um, Sophie is freaking adorable and her cuteness is out of control. Your kids should probably be models.

Jackie said...

Ha! I think that doorstep pic ranks as one of the best 1st day of school pictures ever.

I love that Morris family...

Nat said...

classic

sara cardon said...

SO FUNNY!!! We sure love that Eva. Man, she keeps the laughs coming...

Kay Hinton said...

How funny that she has the same expression as you. . .apple doesn't fall . . . you know. Oh she's cute and you are such a good writer.