Friday, September 5, 2008

Welcome to the world, Baby Eva!

She's waking, she's waking... back to sleep... I think... I have this little thing wrapped on my chest, sleeping away. I finally have a few minutes to write. She is the sweetest little baby. We just love her so much. I could sit here an look at her all day. Eva sleeps quite a bit, except at night. She loves to be cuddled and close to people. She is pretty happy while she is awake except when it comes to eating. We call her little piglet because she snorts and wiggles and grunts and flails her arms around when she's trying to eat. Patience is not her strong point. It is amazing though how much of her personality we can already see.



Her birth was an incredible experience. Ok, it was totally crazy in my mind. But what first birth isn't? The day after my due date I was getting anxious so I got a massage from a friend. She worked all the pressure points that you are supposed to avoid during pregnancy. Walking out of her office I had 2 big contractions and then it was every 5 minutes from then on. Around 11pm we decided to go to the hospital to get checked out. I was sure I wasn't ready b/c I didn't think the contractions were hard enough yet. But I was 5 cm by that point and the nurses were sure she'd be there by morning. We had planned on a natural delivery as far as I wanted to handle it and the contractions were definitely bearable up to that point. My friend Kristin arrived a bit later and helped coach me through the contractions. As they got stronger, I also needed Devin's help. Then as they got even stronger, my mom also joined in. By the end all three had found their respective duties and we were all in the groove. I know it sounds crazy but with the three of them it was very bearable. There was only one time when I thought, "why am I doing this?" and by that point I knew I was so close to the end and that I could get through it. Anyway, the labor hadn't progressed much by about 4 am so they started the Pitocin. Finally at 8am we were ready to push and she was born at 8:50. That was the most exciting hour of my life. Everyone in the room was cheering and coaching me through it. Devin, Kristin and my mom had been so involved in the labor all night that I think it was just as much of a high for them as it was for me when she finally came out. The whole experience was truly amazing and I feel like superwoman. It was incredible to experience the birth process firsthand and learn how much the human body is capable of. Will I have a natural birth again? Ask me in a couple years...


20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, she is a sweetie! I think she has the Palmer girls eyes!!!! Thanks for the new pics, they are awesome, and I love the family pic too!

Team O'Connor said...

I'm so proud of you! You did such a good job. She is adorable. I also think she has the Palmer eyes. Is it weird being a mom? You're definitely a hot mom so that's cool. I hope that everything is going great and that you're feeling really good. Can't wait to see you and meet Eva!

sara cardon said...

She is SO incredibly precious!! I hope she looks like me!! jk:) She really is a beautiful baby-- she looks so alert in her awake pictures, and she is filling out fast. We love Eva! I enjoyed reading about your delivery-- welcome to the world of "war stories." Now at every female gathering you can join in and top everyone else b/c you did it naturally. Well done. You've earned your red badge of courage.:)

Teresa said...

Love the pics...keep them coming!

The Davis' said...

Wow, all natural, you are a strong, brave woman!! I got chills reading about your labor and delivery because those are some of my favorite memeories. Eva is so adorable!! Thanks for posting the new pictures! Congrats again Sarah and Devin!!

HaLaine said...

Way to go! That's so AWESOME! The doctor and nurses laughed at me when I wanted to get an epidural after doing it naturally the first two times. I have now done both and I totally love doing it w/o the meds...but I must have become a wimp in my old age! She is a beauty! Congrats!

Papa Palmer said...

Sarah, We are so proud of you and Devin. Little Eva is a sweetheart. Darlene can't stop talking about her!

Amy said...

Way to go Sarah! You are a superwoman with a super cute daughter. Congrats again!

Unknown said...

YOU DA (WO)MAN!! What a sweet little love. Can't wait to meet her in person. Say, by the way, you wouldn't happen to have seen my wife lately? I seem to have lost her . . .

Frankman's said...

you are AMAZING! she's beautiful! isn't it so fun being a mom!?!?

Lindsay said...

She is adorable and I am so proud of you for doing it naturally! You are brave and tough! I love hearing baby stories, so keep them coming! She is just so sweet, I'm so happy for you guys!

Tiffany said...

Thanks for the birth story. I love to hear those as it takes me right back to my experiences.

Send me your address. I have a little something for baby Eva.

Emily said...

Oh wow. I can't imagine... I am so happy it's you and not me right now! Superwoman- yes you are! I am so happy for you! Little Eva... it's perfect.

So many blogs..too little time said...

I am so glad you made it. Next time I am getting a message! Eva is precious:)

Alicia said...

What a beautiful little girl! She is so cute and I know you are thrilled to have her here. I am so happy for you guys. I am glad you had a great birthing experience. You are a superwomen!!!! We hope to meet her someday soon. love Ben and Alicia

Shannon said...

She is so precious!! Ok, I'm so glad that you said you did it naturally and it wasn't too bad. I think that's the way I want to go...but the whole experience terrifies me really. I'm so glad everything went well for you all. Congratulations!

Nat said...

I really need to visit! I want to hang out with lil piglet:)

Unknown said...

So cute. Congratulations, you guys!

Angela Cloyd said...

Hi Sarah it's Angela Cloyd Curt Cloyd's wife. Laura told us you had your baby, and that we could see pictures on your blog. Eva is adorable just like her name! Congratulations we are so happy for you and your little family!

Shonna said...

Thanks for sharing your delivery story. It sounds like it was painful and you are absolutely amazing. What a precious addition to your family. Congrats!