Friday, September 12, 2008

Thank you, Grandmas!

Eva is 2 weeks and 2 days old now. We can hardly believe how much our lives have changed in the past 2 weeks and at the same time, we can hardly remember what life was like before this little baby came into our family. We have been so lucky to have our moms here to help. My mom was here for the birth and for the first week. Devin's mom came in the next day and stayed until yesterday. They were so helpful and I seriously don't know what I would have done without them. Eva loves her grandmas so much. She was always so calm and happy in their arms. Thank you, Grandmas! Eva misses you so much!


Eva was able to meet her first Auntie on Sunday. My sister Julie had a 9 hour layover in Atlanta so she rented a car and drove the 2 hours up to Clemson to meet her little niece. Eva was very happy and alert while she was here and we are so happy Auntie Julie was able to come.

Eva is getting so big and chubby! I can't believe how much she has changed in 2 weeks. She is so strong and active. She can hold her head up and likes to move around using her little frog legs. She loves to be held and to sleep on our chests. She is the sweetest little thing! So we are completely spoiling this little girl. One of these days we'll have to start putting her down instead of just holding her all the time! If you have any experience with the Babywise method will you let me know? Do you really just let them cry themselves to sleep at every nap? I just don't see how it works but please let me know so I can talk to you about it. Here's a few pics from the past couple days.

14 comments:

Tiffany said...

At only 2 weeks old I wouldn't be worrying about spoiling her yet. And, in my opinion, that is also too early to let them "cry it out".

Tiffany said...

My best advice is to not parent by books. They all have good advice and suggestions but each mom and child is different. Find out what works for you...sometimes that might take a while. And above all,try to relax!

Familia Durham said...

Glad to hear you are doing good... I never had to let my kids cry to sleep, they would fall asleep while I was nursing them every time. Don't take everything in a book literally, whatever works for you should be fine. Thanks for the new pics and kudos to auntie for renting a car and making the trip to meet her niece! :) Wow, impressive!

Anonymous said...

I do the "cuddle them while you can, cause they grow up so fast you might as well enjoy it" method. But I have also been blessed to be a SAHM while my kids are young. I even CO-SLEPT with all my kids. eeekkk! to think! They have all sucessfully transitioned into big girl beds.

Seriously LOVE EVERY minute of it, cause one day you are going to wake up one day to an 8 year old with 1/2 of her teeth now missing who "got up at 7:02 and did all my chores and got myself already for school and fed the cats and unloaded the dishwasher" and wonder where the time went.

(true story btw, it happened on wed. :( *sniff sniff)

Joan Morris said...

It was so fun to be there in South Carolina with baby Eva. She is so sweet! You two are great parents. Don't worry about holding her too much cause these newborn days go by so fast.(I know it doesn't feel that way in the middle of the night). Just sleep when she sleeps and ENJOY her! Thanks for letting me come and be Grandma!

April said...

Hey Sarah Congratulations! I just found your blog! Your daughter is beautiful! I agree with the other writers. Don't mother by the book. Mother by your instinct. You are a great mom! I too co-sleep and I never put Addyson down. She is now 7 months. It goes by way to fast.

The Davis' said...

Yay for Grandma help! How nice that they were both able to be there with you guys.
I tried to let my kids "cry it out" but it never worked. I felt like they would cry for hours if I let them! You can't spoil a newborn and it goes by way too fast, enjoy it!! She is beautiful!!!!

RDavidson said...

oh my goodness she is SO cute! Congrats! Hopefully you are getting some sleep! And I agree with the other comments... I wouldnt worry about spoiling her-- its not possible at that age! So just loooove her all day long! My pedi said they don't suggest the cry it out method until 4-6 months. Up until then they only cry because they really need something

Lindy said...

Ohhhhhh, she's a leeta girl! (Leeta=Little, that's just how we pronounce it) You sound happy. So great that you had so many helpers! Give her lots of cuddles for me, okay?

Frankman's said...

I read babywise too, but couldnt' let him cry to sleep. i did like the "eat -play-sleep" routine of babywise. it seemed to work well for max. and he just started sleeping through the night by himself (at about 3 months instead of two like babywise said) but i was okay with that. it's so sad to hear them cry when they're that little! everyone in our ward swears by "healthy sleep habits for a healthy child" the book doesn't flow well, so i didn't get through much of it, but basically the two main points of it (or so I hear) are your baby should never be awake for longer than two hours, otherwise they will get overtired. and always have a routine when you put them down. for example, rock them, sing a song, turn off the light and then put them down, so they know what to expect. that works well with max, and i can put him down now after the routine, he'll still be awake but 95% of the time, he just goes right to sleep. who knows? there are so many parenting books out there and every kid is so different! just go with your motherly instincts :-)

P.S. she's beautiful!!!

Dalton Family said...

Well....you've had enough advice, but I'll still put my two cents in:):):) My doctor told me that until 6 months old, the baby NEEDS you when she cries. She's either poopy or hungry, or not feeling well. After 6 months, he said they can go an entire night w/out NEEDING anything. I went by that and all my babies sleep through the night between 2-4 months. It really does go by fast (as you can already tell) I know you're a great mom...just enjoy every minute and know that she will sleep through the night soon enough:):):)

Unknown said...

Maybe I'm just a little prejudice but I think baby Eva would look even cuter if you like had some pictures of like a grandpa holding her or something. Just a thought.

Zach and Nikki said...

I like Laura's advice. I did read Babywise and really did my best to follow it. I nearly drove myself crazy with trying to follow it too much because my son wouldn't adhere to it exactly like it said. So, I learned to be flexible and follow just the basic premise of the book and it really paid off. Lincoln was sleeping through the night at about 3 months- but it wasn't completely consistent. Don't worry about it yet, Eva's still so little and young- she'll get into a routine soon enough- and then it will change into a different one, and so on and so on.
P.S. Congratulations! and What a cutie!

sara cardon said...

Grandmas are the best indeed....I agree with everyone else, don't worry about spoiling her by holding her all the time, don't even worry about showering, or bathing the baby, or changing her outfit every day, or cleaning the house while she's napping. Just sit on the couch and watch movies and hold her.:) That's what they like best too. Plus, in "Happiest Baby on the Block" (the book I liked) his whole point is to hold the baby all the time (in a sling or whatever) b/c babies NEED that, b/c before they were born they were "held" 24/7, so anything less than that is a difficult adjustment and that's why they cry, etc...