Wednesday, May 8, 2013
DC Cherry Blossoms and My Own Little Slice of Heaven
There's lots of pink in this post. Just warning you. This year I got to cross something off my Virginia Bucket List. Seeing the Cherry Blossoms in DC. I kind of became obsessed with it. I'm sure my friends were sick of me talking about it. These little guys are hard to catch. Last year they were in full bloom for about 3 days before a rain storm came through and washed them out. This is my fourth Spring here and I was determined to not to miss them.
I kept checking the National Park Service peak bloom prediction site. They are horrible at updating it. I should never have trusted them. That's how we ended up in DC 3 days before the bloom. Even though the NPS site was somehow convinced the trees were in full bloom. We found one tree with about a hundred tourists crowded around it. haha. Luckily we had lots of jewels and magnolias to see... see post below.
So when they finally did bloom I convinced my friend Leslie to go up with me on a whim before she had the chance to realize what I was getting her into. Luckily Grandma Dar was still in town so I was foot loose and fancy free. (I'm sure that phrase deserves some hyphens somewhere.)
We got stuck in traffic and almost missed it. But luckily we found a parking spot in a fish market (which only cost us a $25 parking ticket) and got to the Tidal Basin right a Golden Hour. It was pretty amazing. Cherry Blossom trees line the 3-mile walk around the water and it is a spectacular sight.
Our new townhouse has lots of surprises. Some good, some bad. We have a giant tree in the front that bloomed the most beautiful pink blossoms. So I walk through a canopy of pink every time I go outside. It's a beautiful view and a beautiful spring. I've also decided that I'm allergic to it so my allergies have been terrible. I had to take passport photos and I look like Quasimodo. I'm going to be cracking up when the customs guards look at it and I'm sure they're going to search me for drugs because I can't keep a straight face.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

























5 comments:
It has been a dream of mine to see the cherry blossoms there as well. someday I'll get there. Great pictures!
Beautiful!!
I love me some cherry blossoms! Trips on a whim are the best! You are so fun!
I'm so glad you made it! And with only a $25 ticket...not bad :)Your pictures are beautiful!
I've been to DC maybe a couple of times and would you believe the first time was right when the cherry blossoms were out? Ha! That's once in my life when I was just stupid lucky and got the timing right!
Post a Comment